Educational Pathways International is a foundation that offers four-year scholarships for brilliant but needy students to enable them pursue University education in their own country.
ELIGIBILITY: The scholarship is open to brilliant but needy undergraduate (excluding final year) students of UDS reading full time programmes.
APPLICATION FORM and other detailed information can be obtained from the UDS website (click here) or UDS International Office (Central Administration room 35 or 36).
CLOSING DATE FOR SUBMISSION: Friday September 29, 2017.
PLEASE NOTE: No applications would be accepted after the deadline.
How to Apply
EPI offers University scholarships to Ghanaian student of great financial need who, on the basis of academic achievement, intelligence, personal recommendations, and other supporting materials, can be considered “gifted”
EPI accepts applications from students accepted and registered at the University of Ghana, Accra, Kwame Nkrumah University of science and Technology, Kumasi, and the University for Development Studies, Tamale. Prospective candidates are required to visit the UDS International office at the start of the first trimester to see if they qualify.
Scholarships are highly competitive and require the submission of a formal application which includes written essays describing why the applicant feels he/she should be considered for the program and how upon graduation he/she will make a difference within his or her home country. Finalists are interviewed by a panel consisting of EPI staff and personnel from UDS. Awards are granted once a year in the first trimester.
The following application is to be submitted to the UDS International office, Tamale Ghana only after pre-qualification. EPI does not review any applications directly.
The University for Development Studies International Office is accepting 2017/18 applications for the award of scholarships from the Educational Pathways International scholarship scheme. The scholarships are designed for high achievers (Gifted Student) who are from areas of need.
The scholarship will cover tuition, books, as well as room and board, and a little extra and will be awarded for four years as long as excellent academic standards of at least a ‘B’ CGPA (3.0 GPA) continue to be met.
You are eligible to apply if you:
- Are a level 100 student.
- Reside in an impoverished part of the country.
- Attended a less endowed school (GES approved)
- Are able to demonstrate limited family income and/or insufficient funds to cover most or all educational related expenses.
- Have the will to succeed (determination, perseverance and success in other pursuits)
- Obtained an aggregate of 11 or better at the WASSCE)
- A female continuing student with CGPA of 3.7 (limited slot)
- Confirm that you are not currently receiving support through any other scholarship program and pledge not to accept any other scholarship while in the EPI program.
- Are upon graduation, willing to work for a minimum of two years in Ghana.
- Will during no-school periods, work in a company as an internship or do community service within Ghana.
- Are a gifted child.
Submit a completed SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION and the required essays and
- High School Transcripts (Terminal Reports)
- West African Senior School Certificate Exam Results (WASSCE)
- University Acceptance Letter
- Records regarding achievement tests, academic awards, honors, and substantive assessments by teachers, including letters of recommendation.
- Documents to substantiate your need.
The following selection criteria are used when considering candidates for the Educational Pathways International Program:
- Academic achievement and intelligence (including grades and achievement test, academic awards and honors, substantive assessments by teachers, including letters of recommendation, as well as possession of a high number of characteristics outlined in the Educational Pathways International gifted children definition.
- Unmet financial need (limited family income and/or insufficient funds to cover most or all educational-related expenses)
- The will to succeed (determination, perseverance, and success in other pursuits)
- Submission of three easy describing why this individual feels he/she should be considered for the program and how upon graduation he/she will make a difference within his or her country of residence.
- Acceptance in an accredited approved institution of higher learning.
What is a Gifted Child?
The gifted child is defined as one with exceptional promise, application, deportment, and character that exhibits high intellectual capacity, curiosity, academic aptitude, and creative ability. Some general characteristics include:
- Shows superior reasoning powers and marked ability to handle ideas; can generalize readily from specific facts and can see subtle relationship; has outstanding problem-solving ability.
- Shows persistent intellectual curiosity; asks searching question; shown exceptional interest in the nature of man and the universe.
- Has a wide range of interests, often of an intellectual kind; develops one or more interests to a considerable depth.
- Is markedly superior in quality and quantity of written and/or spoken vocabulary; is interested in the subtleties of words and their uses.
- Reads and absorbs books well beyond his or her years.
- Learns quickly and easily and retains what is learned; recalls important details, concepts and principles.
- Shown insight into arithmetical problems that require careful reasoning and is able grasps mathematical concepts readily.
- Shown creative or imaginative ability
- Sustains concentration for lengthy periods and shows outstanding responsibility and independence in classroom work.
- Sets realistically high standards for self; is self-critical in evaluating and correcting his or her own efforts.
- Shows initiative and originality in intellectual work; shown flexibility in thinking and considers problems from a number of viewpoints.
- Observes keenly and is responsive to new ideas.
- Shows social poise and an ability to communicate with adults in a mature way.
- Gets excitement and pleasure from intellectual challenge; shows an alert and subtle sense of humor.
Deadline for the submission of the applications is Friday September 29, 2017.
The UDS International office is located at the Central Administration Room 35 or 36.
For further information please contact the undersigned in the UDS International Office.
UDS International Office