FACULTY OF EDUCATION, LAW AND BUSINESS STUDIES
The University for Development Studies (UDS) was established in 1993 by the Government of Ghana to “blend the academic world with that of the community in order to provide constructive interaction between the two for the total development of northern Ghana in particular and the country as a whole” (PNDC Law 279, Section 2).
It is in response to this mandate; the Faculty of Education, Law and Business Studies (FELBS) was established in 2008 at the Wa Campus. The Faculty is intended to respond to a pressing national need to improve the socio-economic well being of the poor through enhanced social programmes in education and law but also enterprise development. The planned programmes in education, law and business are directed to the practical and equity needs of northern Ghana in particular and rural Ghana in general.
FELBS is modeled to combine virtual and residential learning ideologies. Its’ programmes and courses are residential and non-residential, on-campus and off-campus as well as multi-faculty. Teachings and learning are flexible and commensurate to programming designs, institutional arrangements and student needs.
The Faculty runs courses that will lead to the award of the following degrees:
- MA, M.Phil. and Ph.D.
- Postgraduate Diploma and Postgraduate Certificates.
- Bachelors, Diplomas and Certificates programmes at the Undergraduate level.
- Various Certificates of participation programmes that may add up to higher degrees or awards. These shall take the form of short, competency based courses and programmes.
NATURE OF PROGRAMMES
The programmes to be offered shall be on the following bases:
- Full-scale continuous programmes of the conventional classroom type.
- Sandwich courses spread over a period of time.
- Modular courses that could be taken over longer periods in short durations.
- A few courses will just be targeted at skill enhancement and be performance based (this is especially targeted at lower level personnel who just require performance enhancements and/or promotions).
- There shall be residential and non-residential courses.
- The use of distant learning programmes is also envisaged.
- Department of Education Studies
- Department of Law and Legal Studies
- Department of Business Studies
- Department of Economics and Computer Science
Department of Education**
- Diploma in Education
- Bachelor of Arts (Development Education)
- Bachelor of Education (Foundations)
- Bachelor of Education (Agricultural, Social, Physical, and Health Sciences)
- Post-Graduate Diploma in Education
- M.A. (Development Education)
- M.Ed. (Agricultural, Social, Physical, and Health Sciences)
** Programmes yet to take off
Department of Business Studies
- Diploma in Management Studies
- Bachelor of Arts (Integrated Management Studies)
- Bachelor of Arts (Integrated Business Studies)
- Bachelor of Science (Accounting and Finance)**
- M.A. (Management Studies)**
**Programmes yet to take off
Department of Law and Legal Studies
Programmes/Courses under development
Department of Economics and Computer Science
Programmes/Courses under development
|BAGAH, Daniel A.||BA (Legon), G/Dip. (Sofia),MA/M Sc., PhD (McMaster), Ontario, Canada,||Senior Lecturer / Ag. Dean|
|APUSIGAH, Agnes A||Dip. (ATTC), BEd. Dip.(Cape Coast, MEd. (LU),PhD (Oueens), Kingston,Canada,||Senior Lectruer|
|AWEKEYA, Nso P||Dip. BEd., MPhil (Cape Coast),LLB (Legon), PhD (Cape Coast)||Lecturer|
|FENBETI, Samuel M||LLB (Legon), BL (Ghana),LLM (Warwick), PhD (Birmingham)||Lecturer|
|KERE, Osman||D..Diploma, BEd. (UK),MEd., MPhil (Cape Coast),||Lecturer|
|HANANU, Baba.||BSc ( Legon), MBA(Legon), ICA (Ghana)||Part Time Lecturer|
|ASANTE, Job||BEd. (Cape Coast), MPhil.(Cape Coast), ICA(Ghana)||Faculty Officer|
|DINYE, Amatus||BEd(Cape Coast), ICA (Ghana)||Snr. Admi. Asst.|
|SANDE, Williams A||BEd.(Cape Coast),ICA(Ghana)||Snr. Admi. Asst.|
|BEKAH, Rose T.||SSSCE, NACVET I, NACVET||Senior Typist|
- CAPTURED Project with UMSS, Cochabamba, Bolivia and FRHLT, Bangalore, India
- UDS/FHD Partnership Project, Duesseldorf, Germany